Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy S.A.D.!

That's Single's Awareness Day for those of you who don't know what that's like ;-) I figured it would be appropriate to write a little Valentine's blog. If you know me, you know that I'm very much single. (perhaps I'll have to start writing a series of blogs about my non-existent love life...sound good? yes, no, whatever?) You also may know that for the most part this doesn't bother me. I like myself and I feel like I know what I want in a guy. I just haven't found that guy yet. And I firmly believe that settling should be an option for no one. You're worth more than having somebody just for the sake of not being alone.

I think that's the problem with Valentine's Day. It makes us want to be a part of the crowd and during this time, we are being sent the message that everyone in the crowd has some significant other. So more than seeking love on a day that was made for love (or the selling of gretting cards and numerous other commercial products, depending on how you look at it) we just hope to not stand out from the crowd. I think that's why this day used to bother me more when I was younger because I had to be in school around everyone trying to find someone to not stand out. Now it isn't nearly as bothersome...that is until I got a call inviting me to something tonight because the person calling me figured that I "probably didn't have any plans for [tonight]." Though that person had good intentions and (I think) meant nothing by it, the comment did cause me to do that mumbling thing that I do under my breath when I got off of the phone.

Truth is, because I have some good friends, I don't really feel at a loss for anything to do tonight. I may go see a movie with some friends, possibly stop by at the function my good intentioned friend invited me to, maybe cook myself some dinner, maybe pick something up (depending on my mood by this evening) and just enjoy the good life that I have. There's no point in whining about not having that "someone" because I know that if I did, I'd probably be complaining that I had to plan something for him and go find some sort of gift that meant something on a holiday that is incredibly commercial.

So if you have that "someone" cherish and enjoy the excuse to spend more time with him/her. If you don't, I hope you have some friends you can hang out with, or take a little time to pamper yourself...make dinnner, watch a DVD, make yourself a bubble bath and eat some chocolate. Or use this opportunity to do something nice for someone else. I've had a couple of friends that have sent me Valentine cards in the mail. (thanks Lauren and Laura!). Laura's was simple, but creative and I got a good chuckle out of it, so I decided I would share it with you. Have a happy day, no matter how you celebrate!


(in case you can't make it out, it says
"Limericks are crude
I can't send you food
Straight from the heart
It sucks we're apart
If I could I'd send you a dude")

No comments: